Featured Banner Image

Featured Banner Image

Friday, December 20, 2013

A Message from Intern Jaime Durham

Intern Jaime Durham working at the press
Interns play an important role at P.R.I.N.T Press. Their hard work supports every collaboration, exhibition, project and workshop. At the end of this semester Jaime Durham (Intern and Printmaking BFA candidate) shares her thoughts about working at the press: 
"When I accepted the internship for P.R.I.N.T Press I had no idea what to expect. The only printmaking experiences I had had were from time in the studio. With the end of the semester already here, it's amazing how much I have learned and accomplished in what seems like the blink of an eye.

Jaime assisting a printing project 
with Jon Vogt, Graduate Area Assistant 
"My first project as intern was to clean a group of flat file storage units that had recently been donated to P.R.I.N.T Press. While the task itself was quite dirty, it was more than simply getting off the old dust. I had to inspect each base and each drawer to make sure the flat files were fit for storing artwork. If they weren't in perfect condition, off to surplus they went. Along with cleaning the flat files I also had the weekly duties of dusting and sweeping the studio. These may seem like typical intern-like duties but they're a necessity. It's amazing how many small tasks go into maintaining a print shop.

"My second project was to help with an upcoming show at UNT on The Square. The amount of work that happens in the week or two leading up to a show is incredible. In just a handful of days I learned how to properly move artwork, how to store artwork, how artwork should be framed, how to wire framed artwork, how to safely wrap artwork for transporting, what not to do when shipping artwork, how to properly hang artwork, and how to uninstall a show.

"My third project was a screen printing workshop with visiting artist Ashley Nason. Having never personally worked with an artist before, this was a great experience. I got the opportunity to talk with Ashley Nason about her artwork and experiences teaching and I was able to watch her teach her own techniques in screen printing. It was also interesting to see what all goes into running and organizing a printing workshop.

"My last project of the semester was to get ready for artist Kiki Smith's artist-in-residence visit. To help get the shop ready, I aided in double-checking all inventory of the shop's supplies and participated in a handful of Home Depot runs to pick up needed supplies. Once Kiki was here she mostly kept to herself and worked together with the Master Printer. I was able to assist with prepping supplies, running and printing photographs, and of course picking up lunch for the artist. It's amazing that I have the opportunity to meet and work alongside a master printer and a world-famous artist. Not only is it an honor but I also get a behind-the-scenes look at how one particular artist works, the working relationship between artist and master printer and what goes into hosting an artist-in-residence.

"This semester at P.R.I.N.T Press alone has been full of experiences and I can't wait to continue my internship and see what opportunities the upcoming semester has to offer." –– Jaime Durham, December 2013